The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-dependency-arent-there-lots-of-relatives-16440117.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax on sale of Grandma's home Date:  1/10/2002  7:44 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  57052 of 121340

For dependency, aren't there lots of relatives who don't have to live with you - children, siblings, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles...

<wiping egg from face>
Ummm - yes.
<trying to cover his tracks>
But you'll notice that I didn't specify the other people - so some other people (like unrelated people) do need to live with you to be a dependent. To paraphrase Obi-wan Kenobi - from a certain point of view I was correct. <grin>

But my thought processes were indeed all wrong. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

The area where parents are treated differently from other relatives is in qualifying a taxpayer to file as head of household, right? But in order for a grandmother to be a qualifying person for HOH status, she would have to live with the taxpayer, right?

Yeah - that's what I was originally thinking about when I replied. And a quick look at the code and regs shows that they both specify mother and father, not lineal ancestors in general. So I think you are correct on both counts.

--Peter <==quietly crawling back into his little tax hole.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us