The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Flexible Benefits Accounts Date:  1/25/2002  2:55 PM
Author:  ptr42 Number:  57607 of 127637

Hello All!

I had a little question, but I couldn't find any documents in the 1040 to answer it.

I signed up for Flexible Benefits, or FSA, at work, for $3500 for my child's daycare. I have claimed back all of the $3500 from the FSA Administrator. My taxable inclome as reported on W2 has been reduced by $3500. So far, its good.

However, as the Daycare Provider increased her charges, I actually paid her $3900 for the entire year. I was wondering if I could claim the additional $400 for childcare credit. If so, how can I do that? If I follow the instructions on the 1040 form, there are only 2 cases.

Case 1: I did not receive the FSA benefits, so I claim upto $2400 for my child's childcare credit.
Case 2: I received FSA benefits, so I cannot claim any additional child care benefits. If extra money had been deducted, I forfeit that amount. However, if less money had been deducted, is that my loss too? Can't I claim the remaining $400 that I paid from my pocket?

- Donna.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us