The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: IRA & SEVERENCE PAY Date:  1/27/2002  11:03 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  7721 of 20630

Mawhinney asks:

If a person is receiving severence pay paid out in 2002 but not otherwise gainfully employed, are that person & that person's spouse who is not employed eligible to make a 2002 IRA contributions?

The answer to that is "yes" provided your old company doesn't call that payment deferred compensation. You will have to check on that to be sure. Severance pay is taxable income, and it will be reported as such in Box 1 of your W2 for the year. Income properly reported in Box 1 justifies an IRA contribution for the person receiving it as well as that person's nonemployed spouse. See IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available for download at

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us