The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dont-know-anything-about-the-companies-but-you-16588752.aspx

Subject:  Re: Iocom / Optima Date:  1/30/2002  7:06 AM
Author:  Barcoo Number:  3423 of 6186

Don't know anything about the companies but you obviously want to make a decision based on Fundamental Analysis.
If you don't know enough to do that yet then the answer is simple - don't buy.
There is your whole life ahead of you and many companies out there that will give you the opportunity to buy once you have the knowledge. Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. If you don't buy, you will still have the money. It won't go anywhere.

To educate yourself I would suggest reading Hagstrom's Buffett books- especially "The Warren Buffett Portfolio". I would also suggest "Of Permanent Value" by (can't remember). Also "Buffettology" by Mary Buffett.
I would also suggest "One up on Wall Street" - Peter Lynch
"Common Stocks & Uncommon Profits" - Phillip A Fisher
"The Intelligent Investor" - Benjamin Graham.

I also had a couple of stocks that went down about 90% so I know where you are coming from. One of these I have topped up on at the lower price. Not to a large extent as it is firmly in the speculative part of my portfolio.

Some others may recommend a different "education" path and that is OK check it out, but at least read the ones I recommended so you can make an informed decision.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us