The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-thought-it-was-neat-to-see-them-come-out-16593332.aspx

Subject:  Re: Yet Another Tax Rebate Question Date:  1/30/2002  2:52 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  57901 of 121219

i just thought it was neat to see them come out ahead in a way, because had they not gotten married their total credit, though obviously it wouldn't be combined, would've been $300.

Aaahhh -- now I see what you mean. Yes, getting married was an astute tax move in this case. It allows the new spouse who had no income to take advantage of the rebate by way of the new spouse's income. It also gives the new spouse with the income the benefit of the married tax rates instead of single. A double whammy on income taxes!!

maybe i should stick to lurking on this board, tax issues are certainly not my strong point.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Now you know that you really DID have an understanding of this issue, and I learned where you were coming from. Don't let one misunderstanding (on MY part) keep you from posting further.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us