The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-a-vita--16667229.aspx

Subject:  I'm a VITA ! Date:  2/8/2002  12:41 AM
Author:  jailleres Number:  58546 of 121316

I wanted to thank this board (and Phil in particular) for the suggestion to volunteer for the IRS as a volunteer income tax advisor (VITA). I just did taxes for 4 folks tonight using e-file. What a rush! I met one Russian lady who was in Chernobyl when it blew. She was explaining her son's health problems which evidently resulted from exposure.

It's especially exciting to be on the front lines for what will be a major push for the city of Spokane. The VITA/AARP folks here discovered that Spokane has one of the highest rates in the USA of nonfilers who are forgoing their EIC and child tax credits to the tune of $10 - 20 million per year. For a small, low-income city, that's enough to make a difference to the whole community. The mayor will be making a big public relations push to get these folks to file and get their money and spend it here in town.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the experience, humbled by my lack of knowledge of taxes for the low-income filers, and meeting some very sharp fellow volunteers.

Sincerely,
Kathy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us