The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Foolish Golf Tips

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/follow-through-16683233.aspx

Subject:  Follow-Through Date:  2/10/2002  12:26 PM
Author:  SEA99 Number:  1227 of 8951

Hi there all GolfFools,

I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. With 30 golf courses within an hour's drive this is a golfer's paradise. A bit hot and humid but who cares when there are a few cold beers waiting after the game.

I stumbled upon this board by accident and thought I'd share a tip that works for me.

As we are told as beginners and experience every time we play, the follow-through is probably the most important part of the golf swing for those straight, dream-like shots.

We have all heard the teaching pro say: "Throw the club at the target" (not literally, I hope) etc. etc. Somehow that never achieved the desired results for me. I either hooked the ball or worse sliced it over onto the next teebox. What helped me is this:

After the usual alignment to the target (at 12 o'clock) have a mental picture of swinging the club out at 2 o'clock and do just that. However since your body is turning, the effect is that your club face will be square at impact and usually produce a straight shot and a good follow-through. With small variations you can then produce a draw or a fade as required.

Since most Fools I have had the pleasure of meeting on the boards shoot straight, I suspect not many need my advice.

Back to the CREE board, where I usually post.

libra

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us