The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-friend-who-just-moved-into-a-new-house-16711726.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax deduction on 3 "homes" Date:  2/13/2002  4:11 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  58925 of 121599

I have a friend who just moved into a new house last october, still hasn't sold their old house, and has a timeshare. They received morgage interest forms from all 3. I thought you could only have 2 deductions, unless you have rentals. Can he deduct all 3?

=============

as long as old house was principal residence i say he can deduct all three in the year of the move.

If he cannot sell old house in the following year -- could have a problem since it would not qualify as his principal residence.

pete

You can deduct real estate taxes on all three, but you are only allowed to deduct mortgage interest on two personal properties, your principal residence and a second home. Since their principal residence changed in October, they will have to decide whether the timeshare or the old home should be used for the second home mortgage interest deduction for the last 2+ months of the year. The other one cannot be deducted.

Ira

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us