The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Fools On Target

Subject:  Re: What I had in Mind Date:  2/14/2002  10:20 AM
Author:  voelkels Number:  27 of 131

Where did you learn to reload? By what measure do you say "Better"? Is it time intensive?

Really know nothing about the process, but I have to admit it sounds interesting. Especially that 1/3 to 1/2 off bit.

Tim, I learned to reload by buying a reloading manual (actually 3 or 4). If you are only slightly interested, get your hands on the July 2001 issue of the American Rifleman” put out by the NRA. That issue had a series of articles on “Getting Started in Handloading”. If you are still interested, buy one of the reloading manuals. If you are interested mainly in reloading pistol cartridges, I would recommend Sierra's 50th Anniversary (4th Edition) reloading manual for handgun ammo. It costs about $17.50 The manual for rifle is about $21.50. The Lyman reloading handbook (about $18.00) is also good. After reading the introductory information (and safety precautions 4 or 3 times) you can decide if you want to invest more time and money in reloading.

I shoot a fair amount of rifle ammunition. When I started loading my own in 1967, I took a custom built 22-25