The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: CA Non-resident income tax Date:  2/16/2002  2:12 PM
Author:  Rynoman Number:  59010 of 127753

Make sure you are using a CA form 540NR - not the regular form 540. You use the same form for either part-year residence or non-residence.

That's what TurboTax said, too. ;)

You will find that is uses Ira's method (2). You report all of your income from every state, then take a percentage based on how much income is taxable to CA.

So with this method, my ratio is 20K in CA over 24K total. And with the credit for AZ tax, I'm due a return of all CA tax. Nice.

Ira was right, this wasn't that bad. I was just the mixed state taxes on my W-2s that was throwing me.

Thanks to you both,

(I knew there was a reason I'm willing to pay for these boards.)
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us