The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Home as gift Date:  2/16/2002  2:22 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  59011 of 127616

A living trust maybe a better option. It helps avoid the cost of probate but if she becomes disabled you can handle her assets for her.
It can be modified any time prior to her death.

Transferring the property to you would loss both her $250,000 exemption on the sale of a primary residence and lose the stepped up basis on inherited property. Currently she has no plans to move but she is only 57. Twenty to thirty years from now she may want to move.

The other issue is medicare. If she expects to need medicare to cover nursing home expenses then planning needs to be done.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us