The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Foolish Hiking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-did-a-couple-of-1-2-day-hikes-in-southern-pa--16770259.aspx

Subject:  Re: AT Backpack trip Date:  2/21/2002  8:46 AM
Author:  HopsMaltYeast Number:  532 of 897

I did a couple of 1 & 2 day hikes in southern PA - like around Caledonia SP and down into Harpers Ferry in Maryland and found it fascinating. There were some nice vistas, I thought.

I lived near Atlanta for many years and have most of my experience there. I've done all of the AT from Springer to Fontana Dam in NC and there are some astounding views there. I've done many sections multiple times down there. Then pieces of it in the Smokies.

But I found the difference in geology in PA/MD area amazing. Some of it was very challenging - there were knife-like ridge edges from upheavals. You don't see that down south. Forests are very different too. I got the chance to live near Lancaster for a few years and enjoyed the opportunity to get the few hikes in around there.

Day hikes along the Susquehanna River has breath-taking views. Day hiked in Hawk Maountain too. Very nice. And I've done a few hours here and there at the North PA section in the Tri-state area.

I suspect that a lot of the middle part of the PA AT could be a bit dull and repetitive, but, I've not seen much of it. I too enjoyed Bryson's book very much. It was fun to recognize his references to places I'd been.

Hops

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us