The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/buddhist-meat-substitutes-16791216.aspx

Subject:  buddhist meat substitutes Date:  2/24/2002  6:51 PM
Author:  starvingcomposer Number:  3006 of 5626

I've had some amazing meat substitutes that I got from my brother-in-law, whose parents are Buddhists. They get it from the temple, apparently. I've also been some some vegetarian Buddhist recipes and had some pretty incredible reproductions of broccoli beef, shark's fin soup, etc.

It's been so long since I've had any meat that I never miss it. In fact, the thought of eating it is usually anything but appetizing. But there are times when I might want to throw in a little something into chili or a stir-fry that is meat-like, and a little more authentic-seeming than TVP, and sometimes I actually do miss eating the occasional bangers & mash (the buddhist ham is quite good). And for meat-eating friends, it would be good to have access to these excellent meat substitute products.

Do any of you know where this kind of thing can be bought? I live in San Francisco, and I've kept my eye out at Chinatown, etc., but I think this kind of thing is a specialty item that won't be in a typical Asian store.

Any help will be appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us