The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-might-have-better-luck-at-a-whole-foods-market-16791465.aspx

Subject:  Re: buddhist meat substitutes Date:  2/24/2002  7:51 PM
Author:  LeftBlank Number:  3007 of 5687

You might have better luck at a Whole Foods Market or a trendy yuppie restaurant area. Look for textured vegetable protein and the like. The key no doubt is how it is prepared, there is real artistry in this kind of cooking. If you are ever in New York, there is a sort of chain called Zen Palate, there's one in Union Square and another on Ninth Avenue in the 40's, that do this sort of thing. It's excellent. Another one is called Xenith, at 8th Avenue and 52nd St.

Incidentally, while there are a lot of Chinese buddhists who go the vegetarian route, hence this highly elaborate cuisine, Buddhism does not require vegetarianism (sort of hard to do when you are a monk with a begging bowl; beggars can't be choosers, it would be impolite).

Do any of you know where this kind of thing can be bought? I live in San Francisco, and I've kept my eye out at Chinatown, etc., but I think this kind of thing is a specialty item that won't be in a typical Asian store.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us