The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: tax rebate Date:  3/8/2002  1:54 PM
Author:  cookc2 Number:  59570 of 127617

You asked --- hope someone has the patience to answer this question. if in college in 2000 I was single and in college with no income and in 2001 still in college but married in aug am I entitled to a rebate under my wifes income for that year. I received no rebate because I had no income. If I am entitled to rebate how do I ask for it on this years return. thanks in advance. ---

My wife and I are in the same boat. I'm the one with income, she's in medical school. Back in January I asked that same question on this board and the answer was a resounding yes! We are MFJ and since the rebate is for earnings for 2001 and she is included on the married filing jointly return, the two of us should receive a total of $600 from the rebate. Since I had received my $300 from filing single in 2000, my wife and I get the other $300 when we file this year. Hope that helps. If not, look back through the boards and find the string of messages related to my question earlier.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us