The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: "After tax" money in 401K. Date:  3/14/2002  10:59 AM
Author:  emma06 Number:  33989 of 88506


Isn't is also important to keep records of "after-tax" money for when withdrawals are taken later ? The only record I have is from my 401(k) plan where they show the exact amount of after tax money being rolled over to an IRA. The IRA told me they won't distinguish after-tax money on the 5498 form. It will all be tallied as a rollover.

Since this is a new ruling in 2002 I wondered why this "after-tax" money couldn't be rolled into a Roth since taxes were already payed. The only answer I've been able to get is that you can't go directly to a Roth, you have to go to an IRA. OK, so if the "after tax" money is in an IRA can I easily roll it into my Roth ?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us