The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jesever-writes-i-may-get-screamed-at-because-my-16961600.aspx

Subject:  Re: Factor an additional 5% to RE - Reparations Date:  3/27/2002  10:22 AM
Author:  intercst Number:  64224 of 735033

jesever writes,

I may get screamed at because my opinion on this is terribly politically incorrect, but I think one could argue the point successfully that most African Americans are better off today because their ancestors were slaves than they would have been had those same ancestors not been enslaved.

You may be on to something here.

If the reparations case is allowed to go forward, the first thing the court will order is an economic study to estimate the extent of the money damages to the plantiffs.

Since that study is likely to show that Africans whose ancestors were enslaved are far better off financially than those who remained in Africa, any equitable settlement will suggest that billions of dollars be disgorged -- from the plantiffs.

I think the advocates of reparations will likely win their case, but the money damages will be zero.

intercst
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us