The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-difference-between-the-holocaust-settlements-16964746.aspx

Subject:  Re: Factor an additional 5% to RE - Reparations Date:  3/27/2002  5:14 PM
Author:  Squawk1200 Number:  64273 of 734568

The difference between the Holocaust settlements and the 'Slavery Reparations' issue is that the Holocaust took place within one generation,

So?

there were specific records,

The plaintiffs in the slavery case are also relying on specific records.

and distinct lines of responsability.

The plaintiffs in the slavery case allege that each defendant itself or its predecessor-in-interest directly profited from the slave trade. Please explain how this "line of responsibility" is any less "distinct" than the lines of responsibility to successor German, Austrian, and Swiss corporations.

If my grandparents were rich Jews in Poland, and they moved their money to a Swiss bank account. Why shouldn't I, as their heir, be able to withdraw the money?

At the outset, there are plenty of legal reasons why you might not be entitled to withdraw the money. In many U.S. States, for example, "abandoned" bank accounts--accounts where there is no activity over a specified period of time an the bank is no longer in contact with the account holder--eventually escheat to the state.

In any event, that's not all the Holocaust cases were about, and, indeed, the vast majority of claims are about slave labor -- sound familiar? -- and not bank accounts.

I don't know the specifics of the Hococaust lawsuits, so I can't speak with authority, but it seems to me that we are talking about apples and oranges.

I do know the specifics of at least some of the Holocaust lawsuits, and I have a copy of the complaint in the NY slavery suit, and I assure you that the complaint in the NY slavery suit is very carefully based on exactly the same theories used in the Holocaust slave labor claims. The only "apples and oranges" here are, for some, "lawsuits I like and lawsuits I don't" or, perhaps more accurately, "plaintiffs I like and plaintiffs I don't."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us