The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/case-1-i-sell-a-legal-product-to-person-a-much-16964956.aspx

Subject:  Re: Factor an additional 5% to RE - Reparations Date:  3/27/2002  5:44 PM
Author:  Squawk1200 Number:  64277 of 746081

Case 1: I sell a legal product to person A. Much later, person B sues me because the product is no longer legal.

Case 2: Person A entrusts me with his money, under a contract in which I pledge to give it back to him or his heirs on demand. I refuse to give it back.

The parallels are less than striking.

Let's skip the hypotheticals and compare actual cases, shall we?

Case 1: Bank accused of "financing the construction of . . . slave labor camps and providing a safe haven for profits obtained through the use of slave labor." In re Holocaust Victim Assets Litigation, 225 F.3d 191 (2d Cir. 2000).

Case 2: Bank accused of "len[ding] substantial sums to [an individual involed in the slave trade], thus financing and profiting from [his] illigal slave trading" and "collect[ing] custom fees from ships transporting slaves, thus, further profiting from the slave trade." Farmer-Paellmann v. Fleetboston Financial Corp., Complaint dated March 26, 2002, paragraph 29 (E.D.N.Y.).

How's that "strike" you?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us