The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/am-i-the-only-one-besides-the-brave-plaintiff-16966323.aspx

Subject:  Re: Factor an additional 5% to RE - Reparations Date:  3/27/2002  10:29 PM
Author:  TheBreeze Number:  64286 of 744759

Am I the only one (besides the brave plaintiff) who agrees that America MUST pay restitution for its abominable history of slavery, genocide and mass murder that goes on even as we speak??

I have heard some good counter arguments--
-Part of this "repayment" was made in the form of many many white soldiers who died in order to prevent the South from seceeding and maintaining legal slavery,
-Part of the "repayment" consisted of immense welfare payments over the past several generations.

My ancestors came to this country after the civil war was over, so I just don't see the logic in taking my money via taxes to pay for slavery. If "America" must pay restitution, it's going to come from tax money now, not some secret horde of leftover money made off the backs of slaves 140 years ago.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us