The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-guess-i-dont-get-the-comparison-part-i-think-16971492.aspx

Subject:  Re: Factor an additional 5% to RE - Reparations Date:  3/28/2002  6:25 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  64333 of 740901

I guess I don't get the comparison part. I think the reparations issue has to do with justice and injustice.

Well, I would absolutely agree that the first goal would be for justice. The slaves deserve compensation from the slavers and the slaveholders, who deserve punishment.

However:

* The slaves are all dead. We can't give them compensation.

* The slavers and slaveholders are all dead. We can't punish them.

This leaves us with the prospect of punishing people who did no wrong in order to compensate people who suffered no wrongdoing.
* In the intervening 130 or so years there has been so much intermingling of slavers and their descendants, slaveholders and their descendants, and the completely uninvolved, that - assuming some sort of inherited guilt and victimhood - any reparations plan will necessarily punish both uninvolved people and victims, in order to compensate both uninvolved people and guilty people.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us