The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotits-been-a-democracy-for-most-of-the-last-16976101.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date:  3/29/2002  3:39 PM
Author:  Commodore64 Number:  64380 of 756951

"Its been a Democracy for most of the last 150 years, with the occasional break for a dictatorship or civil war (the last occurring in 1948). Relatively stable by south/central American standards. They must be doing something right because they have an elected Libertarian in the equivalent to Congress.

That beats the current US record. The US too has had a civil war in the last 150 years and the current president was appointed by the federal court. We'll have to see if he transfers power peacefully at the next election or if he invokes some sort of war measures to delay or nullify the election.

Hyperborea "

Hmm, why was that addressed to me? I have no interest in your petty Democrat-Republican tit for tat bickering (in case it wasn't obvious, I'm a Libertarian who has no use for EITHER major party).

Having said that, however, I have NO PROBLEMS with the way the 2000 election was resolved.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us