The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/give-thought-to-the-subject-of-what-youd-say-if-17028710.aspx

Subject:  Re: Seasonal employees and education deductions. Date:  4/8/2002  5:32 PM
Author:  CABob Number:  60110 of 121572

Give thought to the subject of what you'd say if an auditor challenged the deduction.

Good response by Chris but I think I would like to take the auditors side just for the sake of argument. Auditors questions might be:
Is continuing employment at the ski resort dependant upon taking the classes? It sounds like probably not.
Will completion of the classes qualify her for a known available promotion at the place of employment? Doubtful (based on your description of circumstance). In fact at the time classes were taken she didn't even have a job at the resort.
On the other hand the nature of IRS regulations are such that pushing the envelope should not cost you anything and may give you a gain. If you are prepared for the audit I would say go for it.

Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us