The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: deducting student loan interest on state tax Date:  4/8/2002  11:38 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  60117 of 127637

First things first. You should prepare your non-resident state returns before you prepare your resident state return. Most states will tax all the earnings of their residents regardless of where the income was earned. In return, they usually give you a credit for some or all of the tax you pay to other states.

Second, to your specific question, your student loan interest doesn't apply directly to your income from any state, so it isn't deductible on these non-resident returns. The type of deductions that would be allowable include deductible IRA contributions, self-employed retirement and medical insurance payments, moving expenses, etc.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us