The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Lasik Eye Surgery; Worth It?

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-experience-17052102.aspx

Subject:  My experience Date:  4/12/2002  12:48 PM
Author:  IndecisiveFool Number:  28 of 43

Last week, I had Lasik surgery. So far I have had only one small complication and my vision is good. I was able to see pretty well immediately after the procedure. By that evening, I was actually able to drive a vehicle. At the next day check-up, I was able to read the 20/20 line on the charts with each eye. I am still maintaining 20/20 vision after my one-week follow-up.

My surgical experience
I had the first appointment of the day. It felt good to have the first appointment after the laser is calibrated for the day. I arrived 30 minutes before the procedure. The Lasik coordinator took me to her office to sign the consent forms. Then I was given a Valium. I was also given one liter of water to drink to make sure I was hydrated before the procedure. I was led to the pre-op room where numbing drops were added to my eyes. My eyelids were also cleaned. I was fitted with booties and a hair covering.

When the surgeon was ready, I was led into the surgical room. After laying on the recliner, my head was stabilized. I am then given additional numbing drops. The eyelid was held open with a device (can't remember name), a corneal flap was created with a microkeratome, the laser shapes the eye, and then the flap put back in its original position. One complication arose during the surgery.