The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Portfolio Management

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-said-if-you-are-a-serious-student-of-the-17073254.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth Portfolio Management Advise... Date:  4/16/2002  7:05 PM
Author:  MadCapitalist Number:  4349 of 6729

I said - if you are a serious student of the markets. That's the key part as it involves a lot of hard work. Very few are willing to work that hard. That's why very few people do it. But if you are willing to work hard, you can learn how to do it in a reasonable fashion. Enough, at least, to be able to see the main trends in the market in terms of sectors, capitalization, etc. and their changes.

Two of arguably the best investors that have ever existed -- Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch -- both admit to not being able to time the market. With how intelligent these guys are and how hard they work (both are essentially workaholics), I would say my own chances of success in market timing aren't too good. And considering market timing is completely unnecessary to getting excellent results, I can't comprehend why I should bother.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us