The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: OT: single parent dilemma Date:  4/17/2002  5:53 PM
Author:  Squawk1200 Number:  123025 of 312189

As far as my research indicates, I would have to have either a.) a signed, notarized statement acknowledging that he is her father, or b.) a blood test indicating that he is her father in order to go after him. If he decides to claim her, she has a right to support from him, yes?

Well, either of those things would get you a court order of support. But neither are necessary for you to begin the process (what I read as "go after him"). All that would be necessary there is your own sworn statement. The usual way it goes if its contested is the court orders a blood test, which tells the tale.

She has a right to support from him whether he decides to claim her or not, but yes, if he chose to claim her, then the right to support would be far easier to enforce.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us