The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: OT: single parent dilemma Date:  4/18/2002  9:52 AM
Author:  pacman1062 Number:  123087 of 312189

Well, he's not on the Birth Cert (it says "no father named") so I don't think he HAS rights.


I don't know how different states work, but, apparently in PA that is not the case. My DW had a son in 1991 the result of a short term fling. Long before we were married, so don't get the wrong idea. Anywho, she listed "NO FATHER NAMED" on the birth certificate. Fast forward 10 years, we are married 2+ years and have not had the cash to go for an adoption. Her aunt works for an Accounting office and one of the partners has just gotten his law degree. He offered to do the adoption for just 'costs' for her so this will be a gift to us. Now, we find out that "unknown" (the new term in PA for 'No Father Named')is not good enough. We had to come up with his name so they can contact him to sign off his rights. Well, we know his name, but, have no addy or phone number for him. What a P.I.T.A. this is turning into!

Now this dipsh*t is holding up our life. He is on his second wife in 10 years, has had at least 1 property repo'd for failure to pay mortgage and taxes, has at least 2 kids to his XW, we think maybe 1 child to new wife. He has never made any effort to contact his son or offer support.

So it seems that we have to track him down to sign off his rights and who knows how long that will take. If he doesn't sign off we will be hitting him with a lawsuit for back support, that should get his attention.

Now that the rant is over, maybe you should reconsider going for support or getting him to sign away his rights to save you some grief down the road.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us