The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lulub-our-son-is-10-now-11-in-oct-i-dont-think-17083045.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: single parent dilemma Date:  4/18/2002  11:48 AM
Author:  pacman1062 Number:  123116 of 308643

LuluB,

Our son is 10 now, 11 in Oct. I don't think anything can be ruled in his favor, really. He would be over 10 years behind in child support, he has no relationship with the child and he does not have a spotless record (either civil or criminal) so I don't think he has much of a chance in court. We are not even interested in the child support issue, just that will be an incentive for him to relinquish any claim so we can get on with the adoption. I would do everything to tie him up in court if he tried for custody. He would be fortunate to get visitation (and then only supervised) with his background. It would be hard on our son. He idealizes all the male family members because there was no dad there the first 4 years and he had no grandfather either. This guy is into all sorts of hobbies our son would find fasinating which would make him see past the loser this guy really is, at his current level of maturity. As far as he is concerned I am his DAD and nobody else would be. This guy is just no kind of role model or influence we want our son involved with.

I think the courts are just getting shy about eliminatings someone's parental rights. On one hand I can understand, on the other, its not helping the child in this case.

thanks,
Dan

...feeling bad, like he is taking the thread away from Ishtar....
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us