The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/please-be-sure-that-your-will-is-up-to-date-and-17087513.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: single parent dilemma Date:  4/18/2002  11:19 PM
Author:  MazieNH Number:  123204 of 308881

Please be sure that your will is up to date and states clearly who you would like to have your child in case of your death

I'd like to second what Lael said - my very good friend, also a single mom of an 8 year old, was killed in a car accident a few years ago. When she passed away, the ex-boyfiend (not the most reliable dad, barely involved for the previous 2 years, but newly married and ready to play at being a daddy) came in and took custody. My friend's parents, with whom she and her daughter lived for most of the child's life, were devastated; they had fully intended to raise their granddaughter, but their hands were somewhat tied by his parental rights with no will in place and his name on the BC.

I guess it's worked out ok for the most part, but he would NOT have been my friend's choice for custody had she thought to make a will.

Marianne
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us