The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-more-thought-about-this-i-dont-have-any-17180160.aspx

Subject:  Re: Yea! Someone hit my car:) Date:  5/7/2002  11:39 AM
Author:  reverbbrad Number:  125646 of 308542

One more thought about this:
I don't have any issue with the idea of being compensated by the insurance company, even if you are not planning to make the repair (a loss is a loss...).

However, you might want to think about your neighbors for a moment. When you process the claim, their insurance is likely to rise. If they have had a previous nick on the record, it could rise quite a bit (esp. since there is no doubt of fault here). And there is likely a deductable they will have to satisfy.

If they are willing to settle with you (even for less), it might be the cool thing to do to take him up on it. I dunno, maybe you don't know them or care, but I think I'd be peeved if a neighbor made an insurance claim against me after I offered to make good. Having friendly neighbors might be worth more than a couple hundred bucks in the short term. Of course, if your neighbors are jerks or something, don't bother. Just my thoughts...

-brad
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us