The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Sustainable Business

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-im-here-too-good-to-be-back-good-to-hear-17213025.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Who's here? Date:  5/13/2002  8:35 PM
Author:  Inahaze Number:  1640 of 1656

Hi, I'm here, too. Good to be back. Good to hear others are still interested.

cklan, your post made me think of materials my brother & sister-in-law have used to wonderful effect. You probably already know about them, but, just in case: When they have installed hardwood floors, the lumber used comes from source(s) that have dredged trees from river and lake bottoms, where it had sunk en route to the mill, sometimes as much as 100+ years ago. The result is some unbelievably beautiful hardwood flooring that brings with no negative environmental impact. From what I've been told, the mills that specialize in this "found" wood are in this business specifically because management does not hold with cutting new lumber when there is so much that can be re-used. In fact, I guess it actually fulfills all three Rs. ..? As for cost, it may not cheap, I don't know.

Have you worked with this sort of lumber? My brother is of the notion that such mills are becoming more prevalent, but he couldn't cite any hard evidence.

(P.S. I voted, too. Odd feeling, being part of the majority or, in this case, fitting in 100%.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us