The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Sustainable Business

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/at-some-point-perhaps-when-it-has-grown-beyond-17215491.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is a Sustainable Business? Date:  5/14/2002  11:17 AM
Author:  DeadheadFool Number:  1643 of 1656

At some point--perhaps when it has grown beyond the point where the individuals with similar ideals can no longer hold onto the reins? or when it is swallowed up by some Wall Street deathstar?--all sight seems to get lost of what was once an important part of why the business was founded. (For example, what's up with Sears and Land's End? Am I being naive in thinking that a genuinely upstanding company has buckled under?)

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised recently when I heard the former CEO of Odwalla speaking about their takeover by Coke last fall. Coke has not touched the culture that Odwalla had established, and has in fact invested more money in their manufacturing processes and plans to role out an organic product line soon. Yes, Coke is going to sell an organic juice! I think that's awesome!! So Coke bought a company that they saw value in as it was being run. Not to change it and assimilate it. Yes, they still sell expensive sugar water as their main product, but it's a step in the right direction IMO.

Chris
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us