The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Sustainable Business

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/more-books-17220710.aspx

Subject:  More books Date:  5/15/2002  9:29 AM
Author:  Inahaze Number:  1647 of 1656

I have been reading (very spottily, I'm afraid) Lester R. Brown's Eco-Economy: Building an Economy for the Earth, which approaches the economy from a refreshing point of view: that our present system is backwards—rather than considering the environment to be subordinate to the economy, we must recognize that the economy is really only a part of an overall ecology. By ignoring that, we risk losing both.

Brown is president of Earth Policy Institute (www.earth-policy.org) and writes well. His book is a free download in pdf form or can be purchased from EPI's site as well as bookstores. (It's published by W.W. Norton, which is not too shabby.) I plan to order it as I'm not making much headway with the pdf version (eye strain and the like).

I just read a review of another potentially worthwhile book: Good Business: Making Money by Making the World Better, by Steve Hilton and Giles Gibbons (Texere, pub date June 15). The authors are, of all things, former advertising execs who have founded a consultancy in London that helps businesses and governments step up and accept social-leadership roles and use their economic power to "make the world a better place." Here's a blurb from the Amazon.com promo info:

"The authors of Good Business show, through a series of captivating stories, how business can change the world for the better—and be commercially successful at the same time. From Coca-Cola—[how about that, Deadhead Fool!]—DaimlerChrysler, MTV, Sky TV and many others, they celebrate the countless projects which are already setting out to make the world a better place."

Does anyone know anything about Hilton and Gibbons or their new business? The book?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us