The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/2-advertisesmall-scale-computer-17261624.aspx

Subject:  Re: Location, Location, Location? Date:  5/23/2002  12:06 PM
Author:  ShelbyBoy Number:  5860 of 14985

#2) Advertise(small scale) Computer Consulting/Budget-Debt Assistance as 2 seperate companies.

I wouldn't mix the advertising on these two - it sounds confusing - stick with operating as two different companies.

On the computer consulting, think long and hard about the copy before you spend money having advertising materials printed. Computer consultants seem to have a hard time communicating with non-geeks.

For example, if I am a homeowner and want my house painted, I can look in the yellow pages and find a house painter ad with the word "residential" and I know that's someone to contact. If I own a business and want my business painted I'll look for a painter ad that includes the word "commercial."

But computer ads don't seem to be that simple. If I am an individual computer user wanting a problem or two solved or if I am a business owner wanting some type of inventory management assistance, I look in the yellow pages and see computer ads that read, "Complete integrated solutions" or "Software Development and Implementation."

I suggest you clearly state what you'll do for a customer.

By the way, I know a local company that's doing well offering very basic computer classes. A four-hour class on using the Internet and email is $59. They average 10-15 people per class. They also offer Word, spreadsheet and other such basic topics.

As for budget-debt assistance, what exactly will you do? Offer advice only for a fee? Will you contact creditors and negogiate reduced payments, interest rates, etc.? I would think this would be a very difficult service to market unless you have some unique and easily defined services.

ShelbyBoy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us