The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-the-key-to-success-in-this-area-is-to-17262735.aspx

Subject:  Re: Location, Location, Location? Date:  5/23/2002  2:31 PM
Author:  blford Number:  5862 of 14983

I think the key to success in this area is to find a specialty in demand. I have an old work acquaintence who has a successful business specializing in building, maintaining, and troubleshooting home networks -- cable, DSL, Ethernet, etc.

I also know a consultant who does this and is very successful.

I've often wondered if there was a business opportunity in the area of professional computer shopper. ...snip... I think there are some people out there who would pay someone to do all that for them. I know my mother would have if she hadn't had me or my sister to shop for her; she told me so.

Barb has a good idea. I know because I already do this myself. I charge between $25 to $50 depending on how much time is involved.

I am a VAR and sell PCs, but I don't always recommend the ones I sell because they don't always "fit" what the customer needs. If I don't have a PC to fit their needs I will shop around for the customer (hence the higher charges) to find them the best deal I can locally. Some customers want a local store to buy from for warranty issues.

You can take this as far as you want to as you don't have to limit it just to PC's. I was shopping for people for all kinds of parts and software (still do) through local stores before I started my online store.

├čill╒

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us