The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotwhen-i-called-dell-usa-to-complain-and-see-17280942.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date:  5/28/2002  2:50 PM
Author:  Commodore64 Number:  67350 of 744265

"When I called Dell USA to complain and see if I could get the updated components offered on the mainland, customer service acknowledged the differences and said too darned bad. My only option would have been to have it shipped to relatives in Florida "

I am still VERY skeptical about your story, and here is why:

The computers made for the US Virgin Islands are made in the same factory as those made for someone living in Florida.

Also, Dell does NOT keep large supplies of components on hand. Typically, they hold components for LESS than 8 hours. For all practical purposes, Dell carries no component inventory. That is one of the reasons they are so much more efficient than Compaq et al (carrying inventory is inefficient and expensive).

Dell INSISTS that their component manufacturers be able to supply components in quantity in LESS than 24 hours- which usually means their suppliers build factories adjacent to the Dell factory (numerous articles* have been published about the Dell manufacturing system- I suspect you can find them online- its fascinating stuff). It is highly unlikely that ANY component in any Dell product is more than a week old, so I find it hard to believe you got some "old" model, unless you were buying from their REFURBISHED (used) computer line.

jb

*If you want to read one, I recall that one of the better ones was in "Fast Company" magazine (which I think is now called Business 2.0)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us