The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/okay-i-understand-that-there-isnt-a-wide-market-17283329.aspx

Subject:  Re: Purchasing Bonds Date:  5/29/2002  1:00 AM
Author:  reikiman Number:  3782 of 35392

Okay, I understand that there isn't a wide market for bonds like there are for stocks. That's kinda crazy, but then the variations in types of bonds and special features etc would make it harder to operate the market openly. Stocks, heck, they're all the same, that is each common stock share represents the same kind of thing .. 1/n ownership right to the company in question .. no special features etc, unless you get to preferred shares and then you have to dig a bit, usually in the 10K where there's a table listing the special features. But bonds, well, they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and special features like convertability etc.

Anyway, I find it interesting that Yahoo has an excellent bond finder page, which has some small correlation with E*Trade's bond finder page. So if there's no regular open market for bonds, then what's Yahoo tapping into for it's data? Are they going to a specific broker and getting data from them?

- David

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us