The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/charlie-i-have-to-disagree-somewhat-on-your-17284803.aspx

Subject:  Re: Purchasing Bonds Date:  5/29/2002  11:36 AM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  3791 of 35341

Charlie,

I have to disagree somewhat on your "get professional advice" suggestion. I am not opposed to seeking advice from a professional financial advisor (in this situation), presuming we mean a paid financial advisor not a brokerage "financial advisor" (i.e., broker) paid on commissions. However, quality is hard to come by (I'd probably think about using Vanguard's service) and I believe it is absolutely necessary to come armed to any discussion with your own knowledge of opitions, and their pros and cons. Once you've done that, I'm not sure you need an advisor.

Quite frankly, I think the collective wisdom (and ignorance) of this board (plus the retiree board) is probably as good as most financial advisors, especially if we have the specifics, and at least our suggestions can help set parameters for a discussion with a paid financial advisor. When I look at most planning for retirement advice (I know you agree with this), I find the assumptions pretty questionable—I'm pretty annoyed with what TMF has been hyping, lately, for instance.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us