The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-talking-with-a-broker-at-washington-mutual-17288713.aspx

Subject:  Re: Purchasing Bonds Date:  5/30/2002  2:00 AM
Author:  upatnite2 Number:  3800 of 35272

I'm talking with a broker at Washington Mutual Financial (recommended by our accountant) about creating a five to seven year bond ladder with over $400 K of my 89-year old mother's money. I'd feel more comfortable buying Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index (VBMFX), Short-Term Bond Index (VBISX), or Intermediate-Term Bond Index (VBIIX), but I'm concerned about buying at a near peak NAV, given the unusually low interest rates.

Please realize that the broker at Washington Mutual may not be ummm "aligned" with your interests. His goals may be totally different.

In at least one of the financial magazines ("Worth" magazine in this case), every year they feature an article on some of the highest rated money managers for individuals, classified by city, with nice little snippets on each one. It's a nice read, and may be worth persuing if you can't get a good money manager that's recommended to you by someone who has used the person.

-upatnite2
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us