The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/retirement-investment-strategy-17349568.aspx

Subject:  Retirement Investment Strategy Date:  6/11/2002  8:59 PM
Author:  CAJAG Number:  34669 of 75523

I am a military member who began saving for retirement only since 2000. I provide the only income which is about $3200 a month. I have no monthly debt. Right now my wife and I each have a Roth IRA which we have maxed out $2k since 2000. These accounts are in Vanguard's Extended Market Index Fund. We each have about $4400. We also have a joint mutual fund in the Vanguard 500 Index Fund. The value of this account is about $5K. We also have about $5K in savings and about $13K in a money market account. We plan to max out our IRAs and contribute $150 per month into the joint fund. The question I have is I can now join the Thrift Savings Plan which allows me to invest 7% in pre-tax dollars. This percentage will go up each year but there are no matching funds. Should I utilize this plan? If so, should I continue to fund my Roth IRA? If I should utilize the plan should I invest in stocks are perhaps diversify into bonds? I am not a big risk taker. I am a new investor and appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us