The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-cajag-as-an-aside-first-i-believe-the-tsp-17368790.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Investment Strategy Date:  6/15/2002  6:45 PM
Author:  avjo Number:  34690 of 75642

Hi Cajag, As an aside, first, I believe the TSP has one more open enrollment period for this year. I think they have only two a month, and if you miss the open period you have to wait @ another 6 months. Besides that I think it would be auto deducted from your pay, and I believe it does take some time to stop the auto-deduction should you wish or need the money for something else. So, those are two things to consider. But, basically what I have heard about tsps, is that for the people who have no debt and can contribute and already do to a roth, tsp's can be a great extra for retirement money to be placed. The problem Ive seen is that some people have so much debt that needs to be paid off first before they can even thing about anything else, and then it goes to the roth, which seemingly is a better deal at this time for many, then the tsp if there is still extra money in your budget after paying all your other expenses. they have in the tsp a plan that is basically an s+p500 index fund i would reccommend that one as a starter fund to look at. (But, just as an aside, it seems based on how much you have in a mma, if your planning on having kids or buying a house that might be something to get all set up with first before the tsp...of course, if your planning on full military retirment after your 20 years, you may be all set without having to do the tsp at all, I guess it just needs to be taken into consideration what you have for upcoming bills and goals)

Thanks for doing such a great service for our country, it is appreciated!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us