The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ish-yes-you-can-do-this-i-think-its-just-human-17373373.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: staying motivated with decision Date:  6/17/2002  12:36 PM
Author:  Kilbia Number:  130801 of 308782

Ish,

Yes, you can do this. I think it's just human nature that your acquaintances have been supportive while you were totally uncertain, and are now questioning now that you're becoming more certain. If nothing else, see it as an exercise to make sure you've thought of everything. They want you to make a decision (hence the support for anything), and they want you to make the best decision (hence the questioning now that you seem to be picking a particular option).

You're not alone. I'm actually very guilty of this right now with my girlfriend; it's very obvious to me that she'd be happier if she bit the bullet, took out the unsubsidized Stafford Loans (which are currently the only financial aid available to her), and went to college full-time to complete her Master's degree in a year and a half so she could start doing what she really wants to do (adult education). So I am nudging her as firmly as I can toward that route. And once I get her convinced that this is the route to go, I will subtly change my tune so I can make sure she's doing this because *she* thinks it's the best thing to do, and not because she's blindly following my advice. Because since I'm not her, and I'm not her husband, I don't have intimate knowledge of their entire situation, and I very well might be wrong.

- Kilbia

- Kilbia
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us