The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-may-be-stepping-over-the-limit-here-and-i-17374478.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: staying motivated with decision Date:  6/17/2002  3:19 PM
Author:  ishtarastarte Number:  130837 of 308481

I may be stepping over the limit here and I appologize if you feel I am. I realize family is different for everyone. You may be very close to your family, but you might also feel enough is enough. I can't handle my family's negativity so when I go home I don't stay with them...it helps keep the peace, my sanity, my focus.

I guess what I'm trying to say, and I don't know how reasonable this is, maybe you should give yourself some distance. If grandma's negativity helped influence your decision to quit school the first time, and you are now realizing that school is where your focus needs to be, maybe school shouldn't be a topic with grandma...

Actually, you are right on.

There's a reason they're on the East coast and I'm on the West.

She brought it up because Chandra is with her now, and Chandra is somewhat worried about things. Chandra thinks that if I'm not working we'll end up on the streets or starve. I've been reinforcing that we've had bad times before, and none of that has happened and before I let that happen, we'll sell all the furniture, pack everything else into my truck and move to FL with family. I thought she was doing ok, but apparently expressed some concern to Grandma.

Grandma started out by saying, "what if you don't get enough financial aid?"

Well, I probably won't at first. I'll get turned down because I made too much money last year and have to fight for it because of a change of circumstance. But, I'll have three months severance, unemployment and GI bill to help me out at first. Plus what I can save between now and August. And I'll be fighting to change my disability rating.

"How long does it take to get GI bill started?"

In the past, it took about two months.

"Well, Chandra's worried that you're going to starve."

Please reinforce positive things with her, like I've never let that happen before and I would never let that happen, ok?

Ishtar

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us