The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-can-do-this-right-yes-you-can-if-someone-is-17374520.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: staying motivated with decision Date:  6/17/2002  3:26 PM
Author:  fromagetorte Number:  130840 of 308881

I can do this.

Right?

Yes, you can.

If someone is making a really valid point about your choices, that's one thing. If someone is shooting you down because they're miserable and misery loves company, well, scr*w 'em.

Ish, you've got this life, and this one only. If you've thought everything through and you think that this is the right thing for you, don't listen to people like your grandmother. She undermines your confidence.

When you decided to have Chandra, how many people told you that you could never survive as a single parent? How many told you how difficult it would be and that you'd end up sorry?

People who look out for you, the people who really have your back, are the ones that say, "Yes, I know it's scary. What's the worst thing that can happen, and how will you deal with that? Great! Go for it!" I don't mean to sound like Pollyanna here, but honestly, my mom and your grandmother sound like they were raised under the same roof, and for years, I haven't done the things most important or most interesting (basically, haven't dared to be truly happy) because I can hear my mother's voice saying, "What if you fail?" It's very, very hard to ignore it, but you have to.

You can do this.

Really.

Gena
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us