The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/louise-i-know-you-dont-expect-an-answer-but-think-17435207.aspx

Subject:  Re: Political OT: Church v. State Date:  6/28/2002  5:22 PM
Author:  Wolfshead56 Number:  132226 of 308360

Louise

I know you don't expect an answer but think I'll try to give you one anyway.

After all, if you are a christian or a jew or something else, how do you cut off that entire part of yourself when you are at school (state) and then turn it back on once you return home? If I believe in God, I will always believe in God wherever I am

You don't and noone says you have to. That's the whole problem with this seperation of church and state thing, people on both sides of the issue misunderstand it. Noone or nothing says you have to turn off your belief in God when at school or another public place. You can read a bible or pray or whatever while there. The Constitution just says that any one in authority and representing the state cannot make you or lead you to do such things. Prayer wasn't kicked out of the schools it was just put on a do your own thing basis. The point is, anyone has the right to believe or not believe whatever they wish as long as they don't impose it on anyone else. Since people representing the state are usually authority figures for them to lead a religious service in a public place gives the impression, if not the actual fact, that this is what is sanctioned and thus intimidates those who do not agree but feel the pressure to either go along or at least get out of the way. Even getting out of the way can have severe social consequences in a setting such as school so therefore things such as prayer, studying scripture and other religious activities are best left to the individual to do.

The main problem stems from the fact that democracy and religion just don't mix on an actual basis. Most religions believe you have to live by their way and you have to convert the unbeliever. Considering these precepts how can the fundamentalist beieve in the seperation of church and state? Many men have decided to modify their belifs to allow this idea to coexist with their religion but the true fundamentalist cannot as witness what is happening in Islam today. No matter how many other religions exist in their countries wherever there is a significant Islamic population you are seeing them start to demand that the country, or at least their section of it be run under Islamic law. They cannot just live their own lives as their beliefs demand but think everyone should because they consider their way the only right way. We have many Christians in this country that would be doing the same thing if they could get away with it. The seperation of church and state was a bold idea when first presented and even now, over 200 years later too many people still can't reconcile the concept with their lives.

herb
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us