The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/friendlygirl-the-whole-idea-of-retiring-early-is-17525894.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/17/2002  1:04 AM
Author:  nas90skog Number:  70539 of 756949

friendlygirl:

The whole idea of retiring early is on which doesn't even occur to many people.

We have discussed this issue before on the board, but lately I have been getting a lot of "odd looks" about my FIRE. It seems that friends, relatives and parents are having some difficulty accepting the FIRE status that I elected last Sept.

The usual question is, "When are you going back to work?" My response was that I wasn't planning on going back. People don't respond well to this. When they ask me what I am doing, I have come to realize that they don't really want to know what I am doing, but rather why I am not doing what they are doing.

Since I haven't had a haircut in a year now, (something I always wanted to do), I tell them that I have narrowed it down to three options; professional surfer, a ski instructor or lead guitarist in a power trio doing a "Cream" anthology tour. Surprisingly, many don't see the humor in this.

Remember that old bromide about the cost of luxury items....If you have to ask, you can't afford it? I now use a derivative of this when I am asked what I do with myself all day. To them I simply reply, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand my answer." It brings an end to that discussion rather quickly.

nas90skog
rock on
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us