The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/archiert-quotes-nas90skog-then-writes-if-you-have-17533781.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/18/2002  8:15 AM
Author:  Daryll40 Number:  70702 of 736220

Archiert Quotes Nas90skog Then Writes If you have to ask, you can't afford it? I now use a derivative of this when I am asked what I do with myself all day. To them I simply reply, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand my answer." It brings an end to that discussion rather quickly." - nas90skog Just start telling them about LBYM's and the 4% withdrawal rate. Then watch as their eyes start glaze over, and start to close and they start to fidget. You can then safely slip away, never to be asked that again. - Art

That is SOOO very true. Most people DO totally glaze over when hearing about living below your means and dismiss as insanity the idea that you'll need a cool million for every $40,000/yr (before tax) needed in retirement. That's why, especially after the bubble popped, most babyboomers will not only not RETIRE EARLY, they won't RETIRE AT ALL until they're too old (disabled) or dead. And for the ones who don't die, it will be a miserable existence, especially when Social Security
can no longer keep up the facade.

Daryll40

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us