The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pixy-writes-albeit-a-plan-that-virtually-sks-17535838.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/18/2002  1:33 PM
Author:  jtmitch Number:  70726 of 756936

Pixy writes: Albeit a plan that virtually s***ks unless you prefer the cattle call predominant in
all forms of socialized medicine. I thank my lucky stars I had private insurance
within which my two cancers were quickly and precisely diagonosed and treated.
I'm fully eligible for both Tricare and VA medical, but I won't use either one due
to the inordinate delays, hemming and hawing one must endure to receive any
kind of definitive diagnoses. I dread the day when Medicare and Tricare for Life
become my primary instead of secondary insurers. My experiences to date with
those types of care tell me neither is good. Therefore, I'll continue to pay
out-of-pocket for my private insurance even when it becomes the secondary
payor of record.

I haven't had to use Tricare either as I am on my wife's plan with her employer. But my tentative plan, when the time comes, is to go with Tricare Standard backed up by a supplemental policy, probably TROA's MediPlus. I think (and hope) your comments regarding delays, hemming and hawing, etc. primarily refer to Tricare Prime (the HMO version). If I am being blissfully ignorant thinking I will be pretty well taken care of with Tricare Standard + a supplement I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks/
jtmitch
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us