The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/new-fool-17538065.aspx

Subject:  New Fool Date:  7/18/2002  6:27 PM
Author:  jacqueg Number:  133886 of 308881

Been lurking here for a while, and this board is the reason why I coughed up the money to become a Fool.

For lots of reasons, I have a poor credit record (FICO 534). I have just signed a home equity loan, rolling my credit card debt (about $5,000) over, and pulling some cash to cover buying a new-to-me vehicle, some other expenses, and to have some cash on hand for the inevitable glitches of life (which stash I plan to augment on a regular basis).

The HEL APR is less than the original mortgage, much less than the CC debt, and the loan will be paid off at about the date that the original mortgage would have been. Still the loan papers were hard to sign, because it has been *so hard* to hang onto the house, and watching that principal amount go up again was emotionally difficult. But it pencils out, IF...

IF I can stay off the CC merrygoround. Which is where you come in...

I love your stories, feel comforted that my situation is not as terrifying as it could be, and look forward to spending time with folks who know how hard controlling spending can be (my fleshandblood friends are disgustingly sane in this regard.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us